Friday, November 14, 2008

Winter Comfort

What could be better than a hot chicken pot pie for dinner on a chilly night. My boys absolutely love chicken pot pies. One doesn't care for the veggies. So next time I will have a Build Your Own Pot Pie Bar.

Ingredients:

1 package 3 chicken breast
1 cup of frozen mixed veggies
3 potatoes
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk

Herbs: I added black pepper, salt, rosemary and thyme to taste.

I started off by parboiling the chicken and dicing them into bite size chunks. I also peeled the potatoes and boiled for about 15 minutes at a lower with cover on. Then I cut them into bite size chunks. Put those aside. Melt the butter in a sauce pot and then add your flour to make your roux. Slowly add your chicken broth, whisking as your pour. This will make sure you don't get any lumps. Add your milk after the broth. Bring to a slow boil until it thickens. Add your chicken, potatoes, and veggies.

As for the crust, I used a pre-made crust. I place my ramekins on the crust and cut around the ramekin adding about 1/2 inch. I poured the filling in the ramekins and place the crust over the top (make sure you put a couple of slits in the crust for ventilation).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I've never made pot pie becaus I thouhgt it was difficult. You make it sound easy peasy. I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

I am so going to try this now! I love pot pies but Dh doesn't like peas so I never think to make with different veggies.