Thursday, October 30, 2008

The all American Apple Pie


I just got around to making apple pies with the apples we picked a couple of weeks ago. I managed to bake two pies. I even brought out my handy-dandy top crust cutter thing, yes I know a very bad description. Actually now that I think of it, it's like a very large cookie cutter that cuts out apple shapes on the top pie crust. What would call it??? As I was cleaning up my mess I remembered a funny story.

This story goes back about 19 years ago when I was living in an apartment with my big brother Mike. We had gone apple picking apple picking together. I decided to bake an apple pie. So I gathered all the ingredients together for the crust, rolled it out and put the sliced apple mixture into it. Threw it in the oven. I was so proud of myself. This pie was looking like a Mile High Apple Pie. It had a gorgeous color on the crust. So after the appropriate amount of time I took the apple pie out of the oven. I was smirking to myself while patting myself on the back. After it cooled we went to cut into the pie. Let me tell you how fast my happiness to sorrow. The crust was hard like paper mache when dried. Then after sawing through the crust we realized all my apples baked down to applesauce. I was in tears. My brother thought it was hilarious. It is now for me but not back then.

So I hope everyone gets a chuckle out of this as I do, now.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

i love this story. reminds me of my food challenges and um..."results" lol...although many more mishaps than you I'm sure!