Monday, September 23, 2013

Masculine Quilt Done!

Back in April of this year I finished sewing together the top center layer of my oldest son's quilt.  Next thing I know six months has past since the last time I touched it.  I had to finish the quilt for two reasons, I started & finished the baby quilt before finishing his.  And, we always tell our boys if you started something you have to finish it.  Well I took a little of my own medicine lately.  Just the thought of not doing what I tell my kids was a little depressing.

I started by sewing the sides and top/bottoms to the crossword puzzle of a  quilt top.  Next I moved all of the furniture around in the sunroom,just so I could lay out the layers and pin it together.  Thank goodness everyone was either at school or work.  Once I pinned it all together, rolled it around a fabric bolt that I happened to have in my craftroom.  I sat the bolt on my sewing counter for a week. I couldn't decide how I wanted to quilt the layers.  I decided just to do free motion stippling.

My son was so funny, while I was stippling the quilt he would pop his head in and ask if it was done.  (he was heading to bed and wanted to use it).  Of course I gave him the eye roll and said it will be a couple more days.  I worked on it for about 3 hours that night and got up the next morning (Sunday) to get working on it. Well after about 4 more hours I was done with stippling it.


I am not sure if I am the only who hates binding.  I debated over and over which way to do it.  One, the correct way or Two, the cheater way.  Well today I chose to try the cheater way.  Guess what, I was so much easier than the real way.  I might have to do it on the next quilt, we shall see.

I wanted to get the quilt done before my son got home from school.  So I washed and dried it. Took some pictures of it and then laid it on his bed.


I think he likes it, but you really don't know with boys and teenagers, right???


1 comment:

Melissa said...

This looks awesome!! How beautiful. That's a great pic too.